Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Endings and Beginnings

When Raphaela graduated from Kindergarten in June, I felt proud and pleased;  for a mother who cries at certain commercials on television, I did not feel anxious or sad or overly emotional.  Both Raphaela and I were ready for the Nursery/Gan experience to come to a close, eager for the next chapter.

Today I feel differently however.  Today is the last day that Raphaela will spend with our English tutor, with whom she has learned for the last three years.  On this last day of English camp, I am saying good bye to something more personal, akin to extended family.  I appreciate this woman for the energy she has invested in this class and these children, and for the warmth and love she has given Raphaela over the years.

She told me that she is so proud of how Raphaela has grown intellectually and socially, and that when she looks at my daughter she sees a beautiful child who is ready for First Grade.

Without family in the country or a spouse, that kind of feedback and support means more to me than I could have ever imagined.

No comments: